How To Play With Betta Fish
A little aquatic friend, the betta fish
First of all we have to describe this little fish… The betta, is a fresh water fish native of the Mekong River, southeast Asia.
They can adapt in a lot of environments, that is the reason why you can find them in all the pet stores of your city.
It is a fish that stands out for the shape of its tail and fins. Its length is approximately 6.5 cm, in its adult stage.
The colors (red, blue, green, purple, turquoise, orange, black…) and variety of tails are qualities that makes them so popular around the world.
You have to know that this fish must be alone, because they mark their territory and are hostile when others invade their space.
After this introduction, we can start with the topic…
the second point is that betta fishes are very curious and like to explore and see new things, you can buy them some objects, like algae, pirates ships, caves…obviously toys, that is your election, you can find them in a lot of pet stores, just choose with love.
You can play with your betta in a lot of ways, for example:
This method is very good because it revives Betta’s fighting instinct and also grabs agility.
To do it, you need a small mirror that fits in the aquarium, so the betta will look at it and think it is another male so it will fight against the mirror (it is not advisable to do it regularly, it can affect the behavior of the beta).
For this game you need food and rings of small sizes (you can make the rings with anything).
The game consist of tying the rings to a toothpick and put them inside the water, with another stick you grab the food and pass it through the hoops, the fish will swim fast to catch the food.
It is a very fun technique, what you have to do is grab a thick hose or join tubes, so that your betta can get inside and get out somewhere, it will have some fun getting out.
This game is quite useful, what you have to do is grab a small ball, you open it, and make a small hole ( it will serve to put some food inside), then you tie the ball with a thread. The fish will chase the ball to get the food, you can also do it without food only the ball.
Occasionally, it is recommended to feed during the training mosquito larvae, earthworms, oat worm or any other live food, they provide nutrients and proteins for the fish to recover from the training.
The routine to start applying with your fish can be like this:
- Monday. Two sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting two minutes.
- Tuesday. Two sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting two minutes.
- Wednesday. Three sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting two minutes.
- Thursday. Free day.
- Friday. Free day.
- Saturday. One session of five minutes.
- Sunday. One session of five minutes.
When your fish has finished two months with this routine, you can change to this one:
- Monday. Three sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting two minutes.
- Tuesday. Three sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting three minutes.
- Wednesday. Free day.
- Thursday. Five sessions at different times of the day, each session las
- Friday. Three sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting three minutes.
- Saturday. Three sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting three minutes.
- Sunday. Free day (feed it very well so it can recover from training).
After three months you can change to the final routine:
- Monday. Three sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting five minutes.
- Tuesday. Five sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting two minutes.
- Wednesday. Five sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting two minutes.
- Thursday. Free day (feed it very well so it can recover from training).
- Friday. Two sessions at different times of the day, each session lasting five minutes.
- Saturday. Free day.
- Sunday. Free day.
It is important to know that one session includes two of the exercises, choose whatever you want.
To finish, remember that fishes are smart and they feel a lot of emotions.
Although they speak in a completely different language, the abilities and responds of the fish equals or surpasses other vertebrates abilities. In a publication made by Dr. Culum Brown, evidence of fish:
-They simultaneously perform complex tasks (a trait that belong only to humans).
-They remember the location of something, just using “characteristic signals” (which humans discover at the age of 6). -They have the ability to remember some things.
-“They cooperate with each other and show Machiavellian intelligence”.
-They can make tools.
On the other hand, there is evidence that fish show that fishes can feel pain relate by some behaviors, and they can increase the beating of their heart and breathing.
Betta can respond negatively to the place where they are living, fishes that live in large aquariums or in complex (ie stimulating) habitats, were less hostile than those that live in small sterile spaces.
Fish that live in overcrowding or uninspired places showed slight disgust when moving their fins, and showed more anger when chasing, biting, bothering, and even killing each other.
The last warning. Remember that betta fish should rarely be caressed.
It is not good to caress them, as this can eliminate their natural layer of slime, making them more prone to certain diseases.
Also, never touch them with dirty hands, since bacteria can be transmitted directly through contact.
The care of animals is everyone’s responsibility!
Whether you have a pet, there are everyday actions that we can take to ensure the welfare of all.
You must denounce cruelty to animals, learn to recognize signs of abuse or neglect, identify local institutions responsible for receiving reports of cruelty and reports.